Saturday, March 1, 2014

What makes this hobby fun?



Today someone asked me one of the things that makes metal detecting such a fun hobby. Of course I answered beyond the obvious excitement of a great find there was much more. As someone who works in technology I spend an inordinate amount of time “plugged in”.  My world – like most professionals is a miasma of touch screens, notebooks, apps and software. Don’t get me wrong I love technology and remain a huge advocate of it in the work place.

That all said I was raised in an era when a simple stick and my imagination was enough to keep me entertained in the backyard for hours. I believe in that type of outdoor time and perhaps that is the reason for my passion with this hobby. Just being outside and digging in the earth has a wonderful tactile element to it. Then add in the potential reward of unearthing some cool item and the entire experience is just magnified.

All the snow in Pennsylvania has caused a mega case of cabin fever for me. All I want to do is get outside in the sun and do some hunting. Sure there are many hobbies that require us to be outside for long periods. But other than angling nothing even comes close to metal detecting. The time commitment and patience required are second to none – which leaves us with a great hobby where we stay unplugged and enjoy nature. Purchase some equipment, sniff out some metal and see if you agree. Individual mileage will vary. So that is my long answer for why the hobby is so much fun!

1 comment:

  1. It is true. There is something about getting back to playing in the dirt that reminds me how connected I am to earth. We use to dig holes all the time for fun as kids...glad to be back at it.

    ReplyDelete